In order to reduce the rate of transmission from HIV infected mother-to-child, the programme of ‘Prevention of Parent-to-Child Transmission’ (PPTCT) is made available at Goa Medical College, Bambolim, Hospicio Hospital, Margao, District Hospital (Asilo), Mapusa, all the CHCs, PHC, Candolim and Sub District Hospital, Ponda. Under this programme, pregnant women are counseled and tested for HIV and if found positive, Multi Drug Regimen (MDR) has been implemented for positive mothers and their babies. Mother are put on life long ART. Coverage for surveillance of antenatal mothers has increased because of the availability of ICTCs at all the CHCs, thus the positive antenatal from all ICTCs are referred for the PPTCT facility at the District /GMC Hospitals.
PALS-Prevention of Parent to Child Transmission of HIV (PPTCT) module is developed to track HIV-positive pregnant and breast feeding women and their exposed babies till 18 months and also to monitor PPTCT performance at District, State and National level on various aspect such as early detection, ART linkages, EID testing, Family Planning , spouse testing etc.
Some of the critical components of PPTCT programme are:
- The programme envisages effective reduction of mother to child transmission (MTCT) of HIV infection by providing quality antenatal care including preventive services.
- Provision of reproductive health related interventions in couple-setting.
- Promotion of rational use of blood.
- Voluntary Counseling and Testing for HIV infection.
- Health education to pregnant mothers covering nutrition, infant feeding practices, exclusive breastfeeding, birth spacing methods, etc.
- Interventions to reduce MTCT including antiretroviral drugs.
- Care and support to HIV infected mothers/ children and reducing their vulnerability.