- First case of HIV+ detected in 1987.
1987- First Case detected in a Foreigner.
1988- An Indian but a non Goan
1989- First Case detected in a Goan Student.
- Total number of HIV+ cases detected in Goa since 1987 till Dec 2017 is 16,793.
- Total AIDS cases reported to Goa SACS up to Dec 2017 is 1,775.
- AIDS related deaths reported to Goa SACS up to Dec 2017 is 1,152.
- HIV infection is prevalent in all parts of Goa and majority of the cases are reported in the four coastal talukas viz. Salcete (14.2%), Mormugao (16.3%) in South Goa District and Tiswadi (6.8%) and Bardez (14.7%) in North Goa District during 2016. Out of 390 cases reported in Goa during the year 2017, 28.1 % belong to other States /foreigners/not specified.
- 76% of the cases detected in Goa during 2017 belonged to the age group 15-49 years.
- During 2017, out of the total female infected cases nearly 22% belong to the age group 15-34 years whereas around 36.2% of the infected males belonged to this age group, out of the total male infected.
- In the age group 35-49, over 42.1 % males and about 50.3% females were found infected out of the total male and female cases detected during 2017.
- During 1999-2016, Sexual route is the predominant mode of transmission in the range of 83 to 96% followed by Perinatal 4 to 8%. Transmission through blood and blood products and infected syringes and needles is negligible in Goa.