Reaching youngsters at an impressionable age before they become sexually active can lay the foundation for a responsible lifestyle, including healthy relationships and safe sex habits. NACO reaches out to youth through specially developed Adolescence Education Programme (AEP) focused primarily on prevention through awareness building and implemented through SCERT.
The Adolescence Education Programme aims at:
– Co-curricular adolescence education in classes IX-XI
– Curricular adolescence education in classes IX-XI and life skills education in classes I-VIII
– Inclusion of HIV prevention education in pre-service and in-service teacher training and teacher education programmes.
– Inclusion of HIV prevention education in the programmes for out-of-school adolescents and young persons, and
– Incorporating measures to prevent stigma and discrimination against learners/students and educators and life skills education into education policy for HIV prevention.
Adolescence Education Program has been initiated through SCERT where Sexual Health Education and Life Skill Education are imparted.